20 June, 2013

Blueberry and Cream Cheese Turnovers

Oh gawd, it has been ages since I last updated! I totally forgot about posting these morsels but I was going through my pictures on my laptop and re-discovered them!






I made these in about Feburary when I really wanted to bake but I didn't want to bake anything big. I hope other people get that feeling because I feel like that 99% of the time! I always want to create or bake something but there are days where I can't bear the hassle of cleaning up afterwards. This recipe is one of those fabulous go-to ones where you hardly have to clean anything. It's more of a station workshop where you spread, fold and bake. So easy.

These turnovers are filled with cream cheese, icing sugar and frozen blueberries. They are basically cheesecakes in a flaky puff pastry pillow. So, these are perf for portable cheesecake biteables.

I also got quite bored placing the blueberries on the sheets of pastry so I decided to get a little adventurous and I popped into the pantry and picked up some strawberry jam. The strawberry jam turnovers were strawberry cheesecakes, and the blueberry turnovers were blueberry cheesecakes!
There are endless options you could do to fill these turnovers to suit your taste! I'm so excited to experiement again with them and try different and wacky flavours. The best thing is that they are so crazy easy to make and are so easy to transport!

4 ingredients! Just make sure you have cream cheese in the refridgerator and puff pastry in the freezer and you are good to go. Just find little combos around your kitchen and chuck them in the turnover!

Blueberry and Cream Cheese Turnovers 

- 125g cream cheese, softened 
- 2 1/2 tbs caster sugar
 - 1 (25 x 25cm) sheet Pampas ready-rolled frozen puff pastry, just thawed, quartered 
- 75g (1/2 cup) frozen blueberries
- 1 egg yolk

Preheat oven to 220°C. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.

Combine: the cream cheese and 2 tablespoons of sugar in a small bowl.
Place the pastry on a clean work surface. Spread one-quarter of the cream cheese mixture over a pastry square, leaving a 1cm border. Sprinkle over one-quarter of the blueberries. Brush the edge with a little egg yolk and fold pastry over to form a triangle and enclose the filling. Use a fork to gently press the edges together. 

Place on the lined tray. Repeat with remaining pastry, cream cheese mixture and blueberries. Brush turnovers with egg yolk and sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake in oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown and puffed. Serve.

No comments: