29 April, 2010

Pancakes with a Warm Berry Sauce

How amazing does that look? I know, right? Your ready to jump into your screen and gobble up the picture? These are healthy, yummy, and delish pancakes. If I knew more words that defined 'delicious', I would put them all in this post, seriously I would.
So.. It's actually supposed to be mothers day this week Sunday, but the household that I live in things always happen on different days! (Dont ask)
Oh, Oh, wait.. I've got a explanation for this years wrong date, my Mom is actually going on a small vacation to see her parents overseas. (Last year we did mothers day a week earlier then it actually was, yea.. I think you've gathered we're not the best family with dates).
So this year we actually did Mothers Day on a Monday. (?) Sooo weird and so not the day to have it.. I know. But as soon as I cooked up these healthy morsels.. everyone just sat and munched their way through piles and piles of pancakes (literally.. my Dad had like 5!!)


Oh, and I also wanted to share my recipe box with you, I spent forever writing out all my recipes on tiny cards. I dont think you would of wanted to see my recipe book, it's a mixture of scrappy and cut-out peices of paper that happen to have recipes on them!
I made the batter the night before because (as tradition for the past 9 years) we were having breakfast in bed. And when I wake up, I am in no mood to make batter, wait for it to rest in the refridgerator and cook!, so this way I was thanking myself the night before as I was flipping pancakes on the pan at 8 in the morning.

Okay.. I think you want the recipe now.. yes? Let's do thissss.


So first, I satrted by measuring my flour and salt, and threw that into a bowl, and then I cracked 2 eggs into another bowl
I added some milk and whisked until all of it was combined
Make a well in your other bowl (your flour and salt bowl) and gradually pour in the mixture pulling the flour away from the side until you are able to really mix it until it is smooth. I also added a teaspoon of baking powder, to make the pancakes doubley fluffly and light.. all for good measure!
And from there, I just mixed it, and threw in the melted butter and put all of that into a airtight container ready for the awaiting fridge.



FAST FORWARD 12 HOURS OR SO

______________________________________________
Wake up, go to fridge, pull out pancake batter, spoon on to waiting fry pan.
Yes.. thats it!! Done, done and done. Best pancakes I have ever made.. and thats saying something!




Perfect Pancakes
- 2 cups SR flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- PInch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 Tb Sugar (Optional)
- 60g melted butter

Method
Sift together flour and salt baking powder and sugar (if using) in a large bowl.
In a smaller bowl beat together eggs and milk until well combined. Slowly pour in milk mixture to flour mixture whicking until no lumps are left and until a thick ribbon is formed when whisk is lifted up. Melt butter in a small saucepan and then rest for 30 mins in refidgerator, or leave in refrigerator overnight.
Spoon batter onto a medium sized fry pan, on medium heat. Wait for pancakes to bubble on the top, the outside of the pancake should be dry. Flip, for about 1 miniute. And keep going!

So then, after putting on the pancakes, I got started on my berry sauce, I adapted this recipe from 'Joy the Baker" (best blog in town!!)
I started by placing 1 and a 1/2 cups of froxen berries into a medium non-stick saucepan and ontop of that I put in 1Tb of sugar

Warm Berry Sauce
Adapted from "Joy The Baker" blog.

- 1 and a 1/2 cups frozen berries
- 1 Tb sugar
- 1/4 cup water

METHOD
Place frozen berries and sugar in a saucepan, and cook for about 5 mins. The berries would have released some liquid and the sugar will be dissovled. Keep stirring constantly, and when needed, add the water. Simmer for 10 mins stirring constantly. Serve warm ontop of pancakes with a dollop of Vanilla Ice-cream.

No comments: